June 4, 2010

Food Friday: Salmon Head

Labels: ,

Steamed Salmon Head

Just a few years ago salmon rarely appeared on our dinner table but nowadays I have been buying salmon steaks frequently. They are often simply seasoned with sea salt, pan fried in a little olive oil, and served with lemon juice and more sea salt. Recently I bought some huge salmon heads from the Asian grocery store. They cost just a fraction of the steaks, of course, they're mostly skin and bones but they also have lots of meat and the yummy fat that I really love. I wish the store sells salmon belly, I'd buy those too for their fat.

Most recipes for salmon head are soup, either Japanese with miso or Filipino style with souring agent. I was not in the mood for any soup as it's too hot for that. I steamed 2 pieces in sour fruit (kamias) and sea salt and broiled the other 2 just with sea salt then served with calamansi. DE.LI.CIOUS!

Steamed Salmon Head
1 whole salamon head, halved and well rinsed
a few pieces of banana leaves, if available
non-stick aluminum foil
sea salt
frozen or fresh kamias or sliced lemon
water
  • Place 2 layers of banana leaves in a stainless steel skillet. Put salmon head on banana leaves and sprinkle both sides with sea salt. 
  • Place sour fruit on top of salmon head. Cover with more banana leaves. 
  • Add a quarter cup of water on the bottom of the skillet. 
  • Cover and steam cook for 20 minutes or until flesh flakes easily, adding a tablespoon of water if needed during steaming. 
  • If banana leaves and sour fruit are not available, use non-stick aluminum foil and sliced lemon.
Steamed Salmon Head In Sour Fruit
their eyes are also very yummy

food friday chiclet

8 comments:

maiylah said...

that looks oh-so-good!!!! *drools*
healthy, too! :)

agent112778 said...

we here loves the salmon heads and that why my mom used to buy its so often until sa nag sawa na kami

heres mine

Oggi said...

Maiylah, yummy and healthy too,:)

Jay, how does your mom prepare it, soup or grilled? I probably will get tired of it also; I eat it every Friday.:)

Anonymous said...

Truth be told, nothing is as satisfying as a properly cooked salmon head. Those eyes! SO savory...

Oggi said...

Midge, I think I'll grill them this weekend. And yes, the eyes...they're pretty..yummy.:)

Juliana said...

Can you believe that I never had salmon head? I feel that I am missing a yummie dish ;-)

Oggi said...

Juliana, yes, it's very yummy, you should try it.:)

zari said...

hi after reading these comments I just started to steam a salmon head for 1st time! i just bought a whole salmon and didnt know what to do with the head!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com