February 17, 2011

Steamed Mushrooms

Labels: , , , ,


steamed King oyster, enoki, and button mushrooms


This simple but delicious side dish called Pinais is from the Laguna/Batangas/Quezon area of the Philippines. Pinais [I'm guessing] means a bundle of fish or vegetables wrapped in banana leaves and cooked by steaming. The recipe here is adapted from my guidebook KULINARYA.

Steamed Mushrooms

assorted fresh mushrooms
sea salt
ground black pepper
pieces of banana leaves
water
calamansi or lemon juice
kitchen twine
  • Clean mushrooms well. Place 3 tablespoons of assorted mushrooms in the middle of a piece of banana leaf. Sprinkle with salt and a pinch of pepper. Fold the leaf from all sides towards the middle to form a packet. Secure with twine. Repeat with all the mushrooms.
  • Pour a cup of water in a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Place the packets in the pot, cover, and steam for 5 minutes. Serve immediately with calamansi or lemon juice and sea salt.

11 comments:

cusinera said...

I love mushrooms=) My lola in Laguna and I use to harvest mushrooms in the backyard after a couple days of rain and she saute it till it produce a rich broth and we eat it with rice, so simple pero taste so good.

maiylah said...

love eating mushrooms! haven't tried eating them like that, though...that sure looks tempting!

Midge said...

With Lent just around the corner, this would be a wonderful meatless main dish.

Sidney said...

Mushrooms are very healthy !

Unknown said...

That is a great way to cook mushrooms. I'm so used to sauteeing them.

Kayni said...

i love mushroom. i was wondering where did u get the calamansi?

Jay-agent112778 said...

i heared the term 'pinais" in a magazine but it did no shared the recipe, steam lang pala yun. in the magazine they put the pinais na kabute ontop of a fish.thanx for sharing, magawa nga ito pag nag steam ako ng tilapya


heres my share for the weekend

Gizelle said...

Mushrooms! i grew up knowing one kind of mushroom, yung mamarang cooke din ginger and steamed...

I realized I'm missing out on so much of them...buti na lang I got acquainted with the other types before this lifetime expires lol!

Unknown said...

I love mushrooms too! Just had them in my vegan pizza last night. I have the same question as kayni, where did you get the calamansi? Imported pa yan from Pinas?

Oggi said...

Althea, where in Laguna? I'm originally from Santa Rosa.:)

Maiylah, Joy, and Sidney, I love its simplicity with just salt and pepper for seasoning.

Midge, yeah, this is perfect during the Lent season.

Kayni and AnnMarieMarie, the calamansi is from my tree. I bring it inside during winter and it gets confused; it bears fruits whenever it feels like and doesn't follow the growing season. This year it looks like the fruits will mature in time, probably by May or June.:)

Jay, I've cooked fish pinais once before; I'll try that next time.:)

Gizelle, I didn't know those mushrooms are called mamarang. I used to eat them a lot as a child.

cusinera said...

my dad's family comes from San Pablo, Laguna....I miss sinaing na tulingan and those small fish my inay cook inside the claypot that are wrapped in banana leaves...we don't have dried kamias here, I miss those=)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com