February 2, 2012

Japanese Chicken Curry

Labels: ,


I didn't know that the Japanese people love western-style Indian curry. I've seen the boxess of Japanese brand S & B curry mixes but never paid any attention to them because I'm not a big fan of Indian curry probably because of the strong smell. Last week I read a food blogger raving about it so I went to the Asian store and got a box each of curry and hayashi rice mix.


The curry was very easy and quick to make; took less than an hour from start to finish. The only preparation needed was cutting the meat, onions, and optional vegetables. I followed the recipe written on the box and didn't change or add anything. I liked it but I wasn't really wowed although I found it tastier the next day.


Japanese Chicken Curry
1 tablespoon light olive oil
1½ pounds chicken breast, cubed
1 onion, chopped
3 cups water
1 carrot, peeled and cubed, optional
1 waxy potato, peeled and cubed, optional
4 cubes Japanese curry sauce mix
  • In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and saute onion and chicken until both are golden brown. Add water and vegetables. Let come to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. 
  • Break up the sauce mix cubes and add to the pan. Stir constantly until sauce mix is completely dissolved. Let simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve on top of steamed rice or noodles.


7 comments:

Julie said...

Interesting. I wish we have these here in the PHL so we can try it too because my eldest daughter loves Indian food :)

Iska said...

I love curry... be it Pinoy, nyonya or Indian. And I definitely won't say no to that bowl of yours. YUM!

imriz said...

i love chicken curry, too. thanks for sharing your foodie finds.

have a fab weekend.

maiylah said...

i also love curry! i must try introducing this dish to my kids... :)

thank you so much for sharing over at Food Friday, Ms. Oggi

Unknown said...

I also made some Japanese curry dish for myself one time and it was good. But take a good look at the ingredient list of the mix sauce. It's a long litany of ingredients!

Iván Molina Huerta said...

How many servings does this meal have?

It seems very tasty! :P

Oggi said...

Ivan,
Probably 3.:)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com