February 5, 2014

Black Beans And Corn Chili

Labels: , , ,


Aside from lima beans, fava, and green peas, I've never seen other fresh legumes until a few days ago when I spotted black beans in the fresh produce section of the Korean grocery store. I had no idea how to cook fresh black beans. I simmered the beans in plenty of water for about an hour and they came out sweet, tender, and the beans taste way better than canned. 

I seldom buy dried black beans and didn't know what to make with them. My Spanish cookbook has the colonial dish Spanish Cuban Moros Y Cristianos (Black Beans and Rice) but I didn't want strong seasonings overwhelming the fresh flavor of the beans. I decided to make a mildly seasoned Chili adding roasted corn kernels I already had on hand. This chili is delicious and an excellent vegan main dish.


Black Beans and Corn Chili
2 corn on the cob
1 tablespoon light olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped sweet onion
¼ teaspoon finely minced garlic
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ cup chopped sweet red bell pepper
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
1 small peeled tomato, grated or finely minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon finely minced cilantro
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vegetable granules or half a vegetable bouillon
2 cups cooked black beans
  • Roast corn in oven or cast iron pan. Remove kernels from cobs; set aside. 
  • Boil cobs in 2 cups water. Drain and discard cobs; reserve corn cob water. 
  • Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes until onion is soft. Add cumin and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the rest of ingredients except corn kernels and black beans. 
  • Add ½ cup of reserved corn cob liquid. Let come to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. 
  • Add corn kernels and simmer for 3 minutes. Add black beans and simmer just until beans are heated through. Serve with steamed rice.


1 comments:

Winnie said...

Terrific salad! It's actually a whole meal for me :)
Looks great. I love the colors, and it's definitely a very healthy salad

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com