December 3, 2014

Napa Cabbage And Radish Kimchi

Labels: , , ,


I always have cabbage kimchi in the fridge. I love it in fried rice and with roasted Korean sweet potatoes. I have never made it though because it's always available from the Korean grocery store. The other day, I ran out of Kimchi and the store surprisingly also didn't have any and I was in the mood to snack on the pan-roasted sweet potato I have. I binged (yeah, I don't google anymore) the recipe right there at the store and decided I'll make for the very first time. I already have the seasoning ingredients in my cupboard; all I had to get was a piece of Napa cabbage and 2 pieces of very tiny baby Korean radish. It is an easy recipe to make in a day. The recipe I chose doesn't have fish sauce. I can definitely say the flavor is exactly like the store-bought which doesn't have fish sauce either.

Napa Cabbage And Radish Kimchi



vegetables
1 Napa cabbage
2 Korean baby radish
3 quarts water
1 cup sea salt

seasoning
1 small Korean pear or Fuji apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
6 tablespoons Korean pepper powder
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoon chopped onion
half inch piece of fresh ginger
1 tablespoons fine sea salt
½ tablespoon raw sugar

kimchi
4 pieces scalliions. cut into ½ inch slices
distilled water
  • Mix water and salt in a large bowl until salt is dissolved completely. 
  • Rinse Napa cabbage twice; cut into 2-inch pieces and add to the brine. 
  • Slice off stems and leaves from radish; wash very well; cut into 2-inch pieces and add to the brine. Peel and cube radish; add to the brine. 
  • Let soak for 4 hours or until white parts of cabbage becomes pliable. Rinse 3 times and drain well. Transfer into a large glass bowl; set aside. 
  • Prepare the seasoning: In a mini processor, process all ingredients until smooth. With gloved hands, add mixture together with sliced scallions into the prepared vegetables. Taste and add salt if necessary. Fill glass jars with kimchi; add distilled water. 
  • It's ready to eat or if you prefer, let ferment in the refrigerator for a few days. 

2 comments:

Kayni said...

I love kimchi too. Do you have a recipe for the cucumber version?

Oggi said...

Kayni,
Thanks. I took care of the thieves. Haha.

I used the same seasoning paste for 2 cubed Persian cucumbers. They were soaked in 1 tablespoon sea salt for about an hour, then rinsed off with water twice before mixing in less than a tablespoon of the seasoning paste.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com