October 12, 2016

Pork Belly Binagoongan

Labels: , , ,



Pork binagoongan which means pork stewed in fermented micro shrimp paste called Bagoong, is one of my favorite dishes growing up but I've not made it often because I don't like the house smelling of fermented shrimps for days and days.

The only pork binagoongan I know is the one that has garlic-onion-tomato sauce. Lately I've been rading about the crispy version either with homemade or store-bought lechon kawali/bagnet or cooking the pork until dry. The pork belly I had didn't have skin and also I didn't want to make bagnet. The binagoongan dish is different but also very good and I like it too although it's not really crispy.

Pork Belly Binagoongan
¾ pound pork belly, cut into half-inch pieces
1 cup water
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 teaspoons coconut vinegar
¼ cup store-bought spicy sweet ginisang bagoong

  • Place pork, water, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until all the liquid has evaporated and fat has been rendered. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of rendered fat. Keep rendered fat in freezer for another use.
  • Continue cooking pork belly in its own fat until pork pieces turn brown. Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar and water to deglaze pan and stir fry until liquids have evaporated.
  • Add bagoong and stir fry for 3 to 5 minutes. The dish should be dry and the pork a little crispy,
  • Serve with steamed rice and salad of green mangoes and chopped tomatoes.

1 comments:

ad7yn said...

Hi Oggi! Long time lurker here. I was wondering if you could do a post on your fave food related books: cookbooks or even fiction books. Many thanks!

Pork belly is the best cut of meat. I love it in adobo or braised Chinese style.

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com